EARLY HISTORY | DOWNSTAIRS ROOMS | UPSTAIRS ROOMS | LATER YEARS
Later Years In 1835, Tilden Hall came to Damariscotta from Waldoboro, Maine, and purchased the house from the Chapman family. It then became known as the Hall House and was occupied by his daughter, Anna, until her death in 1907. At her death, she left the house to the neighboring Baptist Church. After briefly serving as their Parsonage, the house changed hands twice quickly until Woodbury Dodge, blacksmith and ironworker, purchased purchased it in 1910. He added the ell and a barn now gone. His descendants sold the house to Ralph Davis in 1959.
In 1960, just as the house was to be torn down to make way for a gas station, William Waters, Dorothy Freeman, Grevis Melville, Mabel Gary and others formed a Chapman Hall House Preservation Society and bought the house to save it. On the advice of Abbott Lowell Cummings, all modern aspects were removed, leaving us this wonderful period study house where many of the earliert construction details are revealed. The house is now owned and maintained by the Lincoln County Historical Association, having been transferred from the Society in 2008.
BACK TO CHAPMAN-HALL HOUSE INTRODUCTION