EARLY HISTORY | DOWNSTAIRS ROOMS | UPSTAIRS ROOMS | LATER YEARS
Early History On June 23, 1725, Nathaniel Chapman III and several other troopers from Ipswich were dispatched to assist in repelling the Indians from the County of York. ("History of Ipswich, Essex and Hamilton.") Nathaniel was an expert home builder and was convinced by his half brother Anthony to come to Nobleboro, Maine, in 1754, (now Damariscotta) to build a house for him and other Chapman's. Nathaniel III came in 1754 and had a grant of what is now the business district of Damariscotta. Anthony's grant was 600 acres in what was in the Back Meadow section of Nobleboro. It could be said that Nathaniel was sort of the father of the present village of Damariscotta. Soon after this early settlement, Nathaniel's own brother, Nathan came. Nathan took up land south of Anthony at Back Meadow. Upon his death the land passed to his heirs.
Nathaniel Chapman built one of his houses in Damariscotta in 1754, and in 1970 the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places as the Chapman-Hall House. "It is admired and remembered as the house which Nathaniel Chapman, one of the family of original settlers built for his home, the first house ever built in Damariscotta." (Lincoln County News, July 8, 1948)
Nathanial Chapman has been referred to as the "Father of Main Street Damariscotta."
The information in this section was obtained from a biography of Nathanial Chapman III on the web site of the Chapman Family Association
(http://www.chapmanfamilies.org/BIO/bio_nathaniel3.htm) and from the Chapman-Hall House brochure.